Home improvement projects can lift the resale value of your residence and make it a more enjoyable place to live. However, it’s vital to choose the right upgrades, plan your project carefully and take steps to maximize safety. These tips from First Mortgage Solutions will help you improve your house without wasting time or money.
1. Try to select an upgrade with lasting value. Siding, window, roof and kitchen counter replacements have a major impact on resale value, according to HGTV. New paint costs comparatively little, yet it freshens the appearance of any room.
2. If you plan to remodel a large area, use computer software or writing implements to sketch the design. This will help you communicate your goals to a family member, contractor or architect. Next, create a list of necessary materials.
3. Estimate your project’s cost, and determine how you will pay for it. Don’t forget to include the money that you’ll spend on government permits, tools and waste disposal. To gain additional funds, you can apply for a home equity loan or refinance your mortgage.
4. If you need a contractor to perform some or all of the work, be sure to select a firm carefully. The Better Business Bureau urges customers to choose companies with two or more credible references. Confirm that the contractor is licensed to work in your area.
5. When upgrading a house, protect your health by wearing safety goggles and a dust mask. Watch out for electrical hazards as well. It’s best to only use outdoor extension cords while working on porches, siding or roofs, according to Underwriters Laboratories.
Improvements don’t have to turn your life upside down. To make the project less stressful, try not to stay at home constantly. Take a few leisurely walks, and spend some time at local restaurants. If the upfront costs seems burdensome, contact First Mortgage Solutions to learn how you can obtain a convenient home equity loan or refinance your existing mortgage. First Mortgage Solutions serves markets in Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Washington.
Copyright © 2014 First Mortgage Solutions, LLC. – NMLS ID #244476. Offices located at 9237 Ward Parkway, Suite 300 Kansas City, MO 64114, (855) 222-5102. Licensed in California (License #41DBO-51145, licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act), Colorado (License #244476, Regulated by the Division of Real Estate), Connecticut (License #ML-244476), Florida (License #MLD1331), Georgia (Georgia Residential Mortgage Licensee #40649), Illinois Residential Mortgage Licensee #MB.6761285 – Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (122 S Michigan Ave Ste 1776, Chicago, IL 60603, (312) 793-3000), Kansas (A Kansas Licensed Mortgage Company - #MC0025009), Missouri (License #14-1636), Nebraska (License #2122), New Jersey (Residential Mortgage Lender License #244476, Licensed by the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance), North Carolina (License #L-175556), Oregon (License #ML-5613), (Pennsylvania (Registered as First Mortgage Direct – License #55072), South Carolina (MLS – 244476), Tennessee (License #128181), Texas (Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending), Virginia (License #MC-5877), and Washington (Consumer Loan Company License #CL-244476) . Equal Housing Lender. NMLS Consumer Access: www.NMLSConsumerAccess.org